Tuesday, March 24, 2009

@%#$'ing Tickets!

So, we heard the Jonas Brothers are coming to Winnipeg in July for a concert.

"Hey! Wouldn't getting a couple of tickets to raffle off at the walk bring in a lot of cash? After all, Nick Jonas has Type 1 - I bet this would be awesome - we could really bring in a lot of people and awareness advertising a couple of tix up for grabs!"

And, so it went .....

M and I obsessed about it.

I had just finished reading the book "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. If you haven't read it, I suggest reading it - or watching his actual "Last Lecture" on YouTube. (I'd link all this, but I'm too lazy, really). In it, he discusses that in life, you hit "brick walls" - and that these brick walls are put there for a reason - to filtre out the people who really want things badly, and those who don't.

Well, we wanted to get our hands on some Jonas Brothers tickets badly. I think some of my committee members thought I was nuts - but M and I were obsessed with getting our hands on some. (Frankly, I don't give two shits about them - just looking at the big picture though).

So coming from the mouth of a dying man - and the brick walls - and getting what you want in life if you try hard enough (don't give up and all that shit) - we were persistant.

I had a good friends brother searching for some for me in Winnipeg. I contacted a newspaper in Winnipeg as well as the local radio station - PLEADING for help (with NO response - damn them!). The Winnipeg newspaper suggested I find out who is sponsoring the event - yet no one would tell me who that was. The JDRF office in Winnipeg already had their tickets that they are raffling off at their gala next month (yes, the one I'm wearing the dress to) and couldn't do much more than that.

What I wanted was something for us - before the tickets went on sale to the general public on Saturday (we'd have no chance, then). Then we heard MTS employees already had their hands on some (WTF??) - why don't I know any MTS employees? None of us on the committee do (crap!) .... turns out they had VIP Jonas Brothers access from the fan site (MTS became a fan - this costs a fee - we didn't want to pay it). Sooooo, while all of this is going on, I'm getting to the point of giving up (even though I really didn't want to, but I felt like no one wanted to help us and that we were going in circles that were leading to nowhere).

Then, one of M's clients said she was getting pre-sale tickets (today) - we would have to buy them, but did we want a couple of them as well??

We discussed ..... $100/ticket - I guess we could get two *sigh* (was looking more for a donation, but whatever). So we said yes.

Then at 7:50 a.m. this morning I get a call from M - her client says she can only buy a max of two tickets - sorry, can't help us. Turns out, the tickets are on sale to American Express card holders only. M doesn't have one of these cards - doesn't know anyone else who uses one - we're hooped.

But then I had a thought ..... "Do WE have one?? I think we do ... we never use it, I think we have it for back up emergencies, but I think we might..." (a lot of help that might do me in an emergency when I'm not even sure if I hold one of these cards ...)

Turns out, low and behold, Vince and I do own Amex cards.

So, I go to the ticketmaster site - see that they go on sale at 10 a.m. and that there is NO max order of 2 tix (her friend was bullshitting her) - you could get a max of 8 tix). Whatever.

So, at 10 a.m. - I went online and tried to get two floor seat tickets .... it kept rejecting me.

FUUUUUCK.

Now what?

I try again at that price - instead I get one row up. Oh, what the hell ever - just give me the stinkin' tickets! So, I got them.

I have two Jonas Brothers tickets being sent to my house (and I don't even want them).

I tell you, after all that, I despise the Jonas Brothers. But, I have two fucking tickets to their show, and that's all that matters - right??

And, as it turns out - Vince's boss might "purchase" them from us to donate to the walk .... so, we might not be out that money in the end anyway.

Frikkin' Jonas Brothers ........

No comments:

Post a Comment