Friday, March 20, 2009

Money well spent?

Next month two girlfriends and myself are heading into Winnipeg for a night.

We're all attending a fundraising event for the JDRF and it's a gala.

We're all quite excited about this - it's a pretty swanky affair. Black tie, fabulous meal, drinks, dancing and two live auctions and a silent auction - all fundraising for a cure. It's a big thing.

I missed something in that paragraph though. After "black tie" should be "evening gowns".

Oh - evening gowns .... evening gowns, evening gowns - who knew those two words could evoke such stress! Me? Shop for an evening gown (let alone WEAR an evening gown)?? Someone who lives to wear cotton? Stretchy, comfy cotton?

Did I mention I am fashion-challenged as well? (well, I am)

So, after purchasing our tickets to this event (which weren't cheap either), and the excitement wore off a bit - the realization set in that "SHIT, we have to find something to wear to this thing!"

I have a month. Or should I say - I had a month.

You see, I have found something - after ordering a few things from Sears *choke, choke* (you get what I mean when I say I am challenged in the fashion department??) - I sent them back figuring they were not appropriate (and they didn't fit right either). I asked around and was directed to go to the local Bridal shops. They sell prom dresses and evening gowns as well.

Why I never figured this out is a little troubling - it makes sense, really .....

Anyhow, I finally went to one yesterday.

I have to say though, that woman who worked there was excellent. I explained my situation to her - she took one look at me (and I still had my big bulky coat on) and ran around the store and grabbed four gowns for me.

I heard her muttering to herself as she did this:

"No, not this one - to granny-ish."
"No, this is too young, won't look good."

She never asked my size or anything, yet this woman picked four gown, by four different designers that all FIT me.

Needless to say - I bought one there.

I spent too much. Or, well, I guess I should say I am just not used to spending that much on a dress - but evening gowns aren't cheap (what was I thinking??).

My line of thought is that if I can wear this thing to at least three different things, I'll get my money's worth out of it. I've already decided that after this gala, I'll wear it to my brothers wedding (which is going to be in Vegas), so there are two events. I just need one more to feel better about it all .....

Today I bought shoes for it.

Money well spent?

Not so sure, but it's a fabulous dress - it fits good (will need a tiny bit of altering - which happens when you have no boobs) - and I don't feel like a stuffed sausage in it. To me, having a comfortable dress (which I didn't think existed out there) is almost worth it right there ......

No comments:

Post a Comment